Central Drakensberg - 3 day cave loop
Day 1: 11.5km & 1700 altitude gain
Meet at Cathedral Peak National Park at 08H00.Start at the hiker’s car park (1400m).A gentle uphill past Doreens and Ribbons Falls to the contour path (2000m) (6km). The feeling of the high berg begins as we enter into Camel Pass. Cleft Peak, Castle Buttress, The Pyramid and Column, are the mountains gates opening up into the High Berg. The pass is steep and has some exposed sections. The last climb up through Wind Gap, leads us into Organ Pipes Pass, to gain access to the Escarpment (3000m) (4km). Up to Ndumeni Domes and a last exposed move into Rolands Cave. (3100m) (1,5km).
Up to the summit of Cleft Peak (3277m), and over to Tseketseke Pass. Vultures fly around the steep faces of Cockades, and as walk below the Elephant Peak we are treated to some of the best views in the Drakensberg with Cathedral Peak, The Bell, The Inner and Outer horns, The Chessmen, The Mitre and Twins showing themselves. Across the high berg valleys past Xeni to Mlanbonja Pass.
Day 3: 15km - 17km
The Twins to Bell traverse below the Mitre, Chessmen, Inner and Outer horns is exposed and will depend on the client’s capability. If clients are capable, Cathedral Peak can be summited on the way down via Orange Peel gap (17km). There are some exposed moves on the path. Mlanbonja Pass is the other pass we can descend to the car park (15km).
Prices per person decrease the more people go on the hike as follows: one person: R5000, two people: R3450 per person, three people: R2850 per person and four people or more: R2400 per person.
- Basic first aid kit
- Food, gas, pots and cutlery hire included. (Three mountain meals a day.)
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife entrance and overnight camping fees
- Tents, cooking equipment and gas
- Backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping mats & hiking poles
- Transport to Cathedral Peak
- Sunscreen, toiletries and personal items
- Meals & drinks not specified
- Snacks, personal medicine
- Travel and medical insurance
- Client will be expected to carry a backpack with their clothes and sleeping bag only if a porter is added. If no porter then you also carry your share of food and tent
- Water bottles and a headlamp or flashlight
- Clothes, raingear and footwear
- 100% deposit forefeited if cancelled 14 days or less prior to departure date.
- 50% deposit is forfeited if cancelled within 15 - 30 days of departure date.
- Distances covered, and campsites depend on the Dragons Wrath, and client’s capability. Therefore the itinerary is subject to change.