Giant’s Castle Circuit Hike
This 3 day hike takes us to Giant’s Castle game reserve, which is full of history and well worth a visit! The Giants castle 3 day hike is a circular hike where we start and finish at the Giants castle office.
We start off at the Giant’s Castle campsite, which is at about 1700m. Then we head up the ridge to have our lunch on the contour path. Here the views are just lovely. We are sitting at 2200m above sea level with 1000m high cliffs towering above us. After lunch, we enjoy a nice stroll along the contour path to our overnight camp at Bannerman Hut.
After a luxurious night in the hut, we start up Bannerman Pass.
This is quite a steep, rocky pass. On the way, we pass Spare Rib Cave. However, we will still arrive on top in time for lunch at the top of Bannerman Face. Here we are over 3000m above sea level so you can imagine how wonderful the views are, or you can join us to experience them for yourself. We can actually look down on vultures flying around.
After filling up on a tasty lunch we wander along the escarpment to camp above Langalibalele Pass, named after the Zulu Chief Langibalele, who gave the Natal Carbineers a hard time so many years ago.
On day 3 we have to head back down so it is off down Langalibalele Pass to our cars at the Giant’s Castle camp. This last day takes about 5 hours walking with a stop for lunch at a lovely little clear Drakensberg stream.
The cost for the 3 day hike is R2700 per person and includes all the food which we cook, hiking permits and tents. Other optional costs are R1350 per porter and he will carry your tent and food so you just carry your clothes and sleeping bags.
A checklist of what to pack on your hike can be read here.
- Basic first aid kit
- All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife entrance and overnight camping fees
- Tents, cooking equipment and gas
- Backpacks, sleeping bags and hiking poles
- Transport to Giant's Castle
- Sunscreen, toiletries and personal items
- Snacks, personal medicine
- Travel and medical insurance
- Client will be expected to carry a backpack with their clothes and sleeping bag only if a porter is added. If no porter then you also carry your share of food and tent
- Water bottles and a headlamp or flashlight
- Clothes, raingear and footwear
- 100% deposit forefeited if cancelled 7 days or less prior to departure date unless you book another trip or get someone else to fill your spot.
- 80% deposit is forfeited if cancelled within 8 - 13 days of departure date.
- 50% deposit is forfeited if cancelled within 14 - 29 days of departure date.
- 0% deposit is forfeited if cancelled dreater than 30 days of departure date, R100 handling fee.