Injasuti,” the well feed dog” in Zulu, due to the fact that when hunters would enter the remote valley ,it was so rich with game, that they would always be successful with the hunt and come back like a well feed dog. Situated in the Central Drakensberg area, it is where South Africa’s highest peak Mafadi Peak (3450) is found.
Day 1: Meet at Injasuti Hutted Camp (1450m) by 10am. Up the Injasuti river valley to an exciting river crossing. Into the eMbovaneni river valley for lunch at a Bushmen Rock Art site. After lunch a long steep ridge to Centenary Hut. The hut only 27 years old has been destroyed so badly that we camp in tents outside the hut. (10Km)
Day 2: Along the contour path past Corner Pass to Judges Pass. A steep ascent of 3 km brings us onto the escarpment at 3150m. Mafadi Peak begins to show itself as we walk along the high Berg river Valleys, above the Trojan Wall, and past Injisuthi Dome (3410m) to the Summit Cave.(11km)
Day 3: Summit day. Around to Mafadi Peak via a gradual ascent, with views of the endless rolling mountains of Lesotho - The Maluti Mountains. There is no sign of civilization in the Outer Space of the High Drakensberg. Back down Judges Pass to Centenary Hut. (It is possible to traverse along the escarpment to Leslies Pass.(7km). Down Leslies Pass to Marble Baths Cave. (6km). It is longer and only recommended for very fit people).
Day 4 : Back down the ridge into the Injasuti Valley and the Hutted Camp. Drive to accommodation of choice.
Prices per person decrease the more people go on the hike as follows: one person: R9 200, two people: R7 600 per person, three people: R6 200 per person and four people or more: R3800 per person.
- Basic first aid kit
- Food, gas, pots and cutlery hire included. (Three mountain meals a day.)
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife entrance and overnight camping fees
- Tents, cooking equipment and gas
- Backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping mats & hiking poles
- Transport to Cathedral Peak
- Sunscreen, toiletries and personal items
- Meals & drinks not specified
- Snacks, personal medicine
- Travel and medical insurance
- Client will be expected to carry a backpack with their clothes and sleeping bag only if a porter is added. If no porter then you also carry your share of food and tent
- Water bottles and a headlamp or flashlight
- Clothes, raingear and footwear
- 100% deposit forefeited if cancelled 14 days or less prior to departure date.
- 50% deposit is forfeited if cancelled within 15 - 30 days of departure date.
- Distances covered, and campsites depend on the Dragons Wrath, and client’s capability. Therefore the itinerary is subject to change.