Sentinal Peak to Cathedral Peak
Also known as the Mini Traverse the hike starts at the Amphitheatre and finishes at Cathedral Peak. There is a reason why it is well known as one of the top 10 hikes in the world. We certainly get to see some of the best mountain scenery South Africa has to offer.
The first night is spent camping at Sterkfontein dam and the next morning you are transported to Sentinal Car Park where we start the hike. The second night is spent camping on top of the Amphitheatre next to the 2nd highest waterfall in the world, the Tugela Falls. Here we are at 2950m above sea level. The Tugela Falls tumble down the huge Amphitheatre wall so you can imagine the views.
Over the next few days, we wander along the escarpment edge where the views are best. By day 3 we arrive at one of my favorite places, above Rockeries Pass in the Mnweni area where all my porters live. Here we camp near a huge Cape Vulture colony. This is really an amazing place. After checking out the graceful vultures we walk behind the huge Saddle and a swim in a clear mountain stream. Lunch today is great. We have one of the best views while recharging our batteries.
As we get closer to our destination we have the opportunity to walk along the Bell Traverse and climb Cathedral Peak. This does require a head for heights and some rope work. If we decide not to do this route we walk down Mlambonja pass to camp near the river.
Hike preparation is very important, so remember to have a look at our Drakensberg Hike Preparation page before joining us for this hike!
We finish at the Cathedral Peak campsite with a South African braai and a couple of songs by my Zulu porters … and that is the end of the memorable Sentinal to Cathedral peak Northern Drakensberg traverse hike.
The cost for the 6 day hike is R5400 per person and includes all the food which we cook, hiking permits, sleeping mat and tents plus camping at Sterkfontein dam. Other optional costs are R2700 per porter and he will carry your tent and food so you just carry your clothes and sleeping bags. Transport is R1200 per person to the start (Sterkfontein Dam) and back from the finish either to Bergville or Pietermaritzburg.
A checklist of what to pack on your hike can be read here.
- Basic first aid kit
- All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife entrance and overnight camping fees
- Tents, sleeping mat, cooking equipment and gas
- Backpacks, sleeping bags and hiking poles
- Transport to Sterkfontein Dam and return from Cathedral Peak - may be added in the optional extra's above
- Sunscreen, toiletries and personal items
- Snacks, personal medicine
- Travel and medical insurance
- Client will be expected to carry a backpack with their clothes and sleeping bag only if a porter is added. If no porter then you also carry your share of food and tent
- Water bottles and a headlamp or flashlight
- Clothes, raingear and footwear
- 100% deposit forefeited if cancelled 7 days or less prior to departure date unless you book another trip or get someone else to fill your spot.
- 80% deposit is forfeited if cancelled within 8 - 13 days of departure date.
- 50% deposit is forfeited if cancelled within 14 - 29 days of departure date.
- 0% deposit is forfeited if cancelled dreater than 30 days of departure date, R100 handling fee.