The Mini Traverse
Day 1: Start at Sentinel Car Park (2500m). Ease yourself into the Outer Space as we walk below the Witches Peaks, up the Zig Zags, and around Sentinel Peak to the famous “Chain Ladders”. Bubble Bubble, Toil and Trubble, onto the escarpment with Mont Au Saux feeding the Tugela River. Lunch at the second highest waterfall in the world, the Tugela Falls. Over the ridge and into the Kubedu river valley that flows into Lesotho. Camp at the “S-Bends”. (12km)
Day 2: The Sun creeps its way over the ridges as we walk along the river valley. There is no other way but to make a steep diagonal ascent to above 3000m, and down towards the Mbundini Abbey. Lunch below Fangs Pass. Do Dragons have fangs that breathe fire? Along the river valley to camp below Rwanqa Pass. (9km)
Day 3: The Mnweni Cut Back, famous for leading people deep into Lesotho during low visibility, is the main part of the day. Awe inspiring views of the Pinnacles, Needles, Hanging Valleys, Twelve Apostles,Eeny,Meeny,Miny, Mo, make you inspired not tired. Lunch as the Rockeries and Mpwonjane come into sight. Ice rat colonies abound as we make our way through the flat lands filled with water seeping from the earth. A steep ascent to Mpwonjane Cave, on the escarpement edge. (14km)
Day 4: Sunrise warms the cave during coffee and breakfast. Down past Rockeries Pass, and up around to a Vulture Colony where hundreds of Cape Vultures fly around and nest on the cliff faces below. Gradually up to the North Peak of the Saddle, over and around past the South Peak, and up to the ridge by Ntonjelana Pass, down to the Koakoatsi River valley, and up to Twins Cave. (12km).
Day 5: There are two options available. Option 1: Twins to Bell Traverse, climb Cathedral Peak, down Orange Peel Gap to the hotel. Route is exposed and will only be done if clients have shown themselves as capable. (15km) Option 2 : Down Mlambanja Pass to the contour path, around and down to the Mlambonja River, to the hotel. (15km)
Notes: It is possible to do the hike in four days, yet you would have to forgo the Mpwonjane Cave experience.
Prices per person decrease the more people go on the hike as follows: one person: R11 500, two people: R9500 per person, three people: R7750 per person and four people or more: R4750 per person.
- Basic first aid kit
- Food, gas, pots and cutlery hire included. (Three mountain meals a day.)
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife entrance and overnight camping fees
- Tents, cooking equipment and gas
- Backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping mats & hiking poles
- Transport to Cathedral Peak
- Sunscreen, toiletries and personal items
- Meals & drinks not specified
- Snacks, personal medicine
- Travel and medical insurance
- Client will be expected to carry a backpack with their clothes and sleeping bag only if a porter is added. If no porter then you also carry your share of food and tent
- Water bottles and a headlamp or flashlight
- Clothes, raingear and footwear
- 100% deposit forefeited if cancelled 14 days or less prior to departure date.
- 50% deposit is forfeited if cancelled within 15 - 30 days of departure date.
- Distances covered, and campsites depend on the Dragons Wrath, and client’s capability. Therefore the itinerary is subject to change.