Lotheni Nature Reserve
Situated in the southern section of the Maloti Drakensburg Park, Lotheni is noted for its magnificent scenery and hiking. The reserve is 3 984 ha in extent. Situated in a spectacular section of the Maloti Drakensberg Park, the main activities revolve around mountain hiking with many scenic trails. The Emadundwini Trail (12 kilometres) is highly recommended and other hikes include the Eagle, Falls, Canyon and Jacobs Ladder Trails.
The Gelib Tree Mountain Bike Trail (8 kilometres) winds past breathtaking views with the historic Gelib Tree en-route. The bird list has 172-recorded species and 16 kilometres of the Lotheni River is stocked with brown trout for the enjoyment of fly-fishermen. Lotheni campsite lies in a beautiful setting with fourteen caravan and/or tent sites. Four sites take small caravans only and seven take tents only. All campsites have their own barbecue facilities with firewood available for sale. Coldwater taps are shared and there is no electricity. The ablution block has hot water and dishwashing and laundry facilities.
- The comfortable hutted camp,
- electrically lit by generator form 17:00- 22:00, consists of 12 self-contained chalets,
- each with its won refrigerator, two- plate gas stove (with a small oven), bathroom and toilet.
- In addition to the chalets there are 2 six-bed fully self-contained cottages.
- Visitors must bring all their won food supplies and do their won cooking.
- The nearest source of provision is at the Lotheni store, which is 14 km form the camp.
- The curio shop at Lotheni supplies some basic groceries.
- A deepfreeze is situated in the camp kitchen and is available for use by camp visitors, as is a single large gas stove.
- Simes cottage is a converted old farm house and can accommodate 10 people in four rooms.
- It is equipped with gas and visitors do their own cooking and need to bring their won towels, sheets and pillow-slips.
- The cottage is situated next to a small dam, which is regularly stocked with trout.
- The dam is reserved exclusively for visitors staying at Simes cottage.
- There is a campground containing 14 campsites and served by an ablution block with hot and cold water, situated 2 km from the camp, further up the Lotheni Valley into the mountains.